I know it takes awhile to this discussion group to take off. Nevertheless, I have to start it at some point inshaAllah :).
I run mum’s discussion group with some local mums monthly where we discuss our kids’ new habits, developments and attitudes and how to deal with behavioural problems each family facing at the time. Alhamdulillah we all find it very useful and I really enjoy listening to other mums’ stories and how they solved the problem etc. I really enjoy learning from their experiences.
So, for a long time I thought of organizing some kind of online group with some sisters whom I have come to know online. And some sisters I know in life but am unable to meet physically every month to discuss the issues relating to children. When we do meet once in awhile, often there is not enough time or will to discuss such things. So, inshaAllah this group will bring together all the great mums out there who are willing to share their experiences: what problems they are facing with children’s tarbiyya, adab, manners and how they are trying to solve such problems, what is working and what didnt work etc.
Every week we choose a different topic and I invite everyone to contribute to the discussion by answering 2-3 questions I pose inshaAllah. So, this week’s topic is the importance of HOME environment in children’s tarbiyya. Feel free to answer any of the following questions or just talk about what is the role of HOME environment in children’s tarbiyya. What was the home environment like in prophet’s companions households? I mean the younger sahabas who were children during the lifetime of the prophet Muhammad s.a.w? For example, Abdullah ibn Umar r.a, the son of Umar ibn Al-Khattab r.a was a young child during the lifetime of the prophet s.a.w. He is considered a sahaba as he got to see the prophet. What was his home environment in the household of Umar r.a?
Here are the questions:
1. What opportunities for loving can your home provide?
2. Name some worthwhile things to do at home (with or without kids) ?
3. “You are what you eat” can this become “You are what you read”. What type of stories do you mostly read at home (with children or your own reading)?
4. Name three simple things you remember doing at home as a family where everyone enjoyed and had fun. (watching, cooking,baking sth together etc)
5. Name three simple things that makes you angry/upset at home (the sight of unwashed dishes, untidy bedroom, kids wardrobe messy/clothes unfolded etc)?